Monday 29 October 2012

Dot.





Dot is the world’s smallest stop-motion animation, and it’s made my Aardmans youngest creative team Sumo Science directors Will Studd and Ed Patterson.

Dot is about a 9mm girl who has to following a path made from formulator items such a nails, coins, pencil savings, and others, event some small flowers and a bee was used to set the scale of the animation.dou to her world rolling up and chasing her. In the end she pulls two pins and makes herself a blanket of the world that was chasing her.

The character was made using a rapped 3D printer prototype and she was painted by hand, they made multiple copies of the same pose because duo to the 9mm size, she would break. Each 9mm each model was hand painted and had a very fine wire form the top of her head; this made animating her tweezers a bit easier.

When I first saw Dot it was an advertisement on YouTube, I had no idea what it was but I loved it and wanted to find out what it was. I first thought it was normal sized (everything replicated but bigger because the animations on the character seemed too good and smooth to be anything but normal scaled animation. Then when I found out it was made by Aardman, I was shocked, as most of the work from Aardman studio that I have seen is clay-motion stop-motion.




Dot doesn’t really have much of a story other then escaping the winding world that’s chasing her, but despite that it is a very well done animation. It goes to show, no matter how big or tiny the subject matter it, you can animate it.


No comments:

Post a Comment