Monday 31 March 2014

Re: The proposal



For my self-directed response to an animation live brief/ Competition

I will make a short animation that will use an existing “Ghost Story” as inspiration and I would Re-tell it. Since I’m not too good at making original stories without it ending up being improvised, so I plan on using the Ghost Story “The Brothers’ Revenge: where two. Though I will be giving it an “update” feel closer to the 20th century but also giving it a fantasy feel. Reason of this is because of the key words “saloon” would suggest the story is set in Old Western Times.

I intend to produce a one-minute animation that will tell a story of the Brothers’ Revenge. Rather than relying on a voice over or the speech from the brothers to portray the emotion and story, I will focus more on using character emotion, emphasized action/ movements, expressions and the surroundings to tell this “dramatic” story in a minute.

As said since I’m not good at story writing I will be using a Ghost Story, I find Ghost Stories, Urban Leganes or folk Tales to be a great place to find “inspiration” and ideas for my own adaptation.


Basic Story of “the Brothers’ Revenge (Key points)
The story itself is about two brothers who meet their demise on a cold winter’s night by the hands of a hot-tempered butcher. The older brother is killed when the butcher throws him in the fire; where as the yonder brother tries to run away but freezes to death.
Later in summer a large black dog with the bright blue eyes of the younger brother follows the butcher, as the butcher turns around he’s greeted by a “tall figure covered from head to toe in flames” as the burning figure” as he goes to grab the butcher he halls back with blood coming from his mouth and eyes before he hits the grown.

The area of study this will involve will be both Animation and editing. I will be modelling and animating a minimum of five characters as follows.
[1]The older brother
[2] Flaming apparition figure (older brother). I will use a modified version of the brother’s base mesh and re texturing.
[3] Younger brother
[4] Black wolf/dog creature (younger brother)
[5] The Butcher

If I have time I would like to make a winter and summer version of the butcher, as well as making some (low detailed) background characters (Ie bartender,) as well additional props.
            To accomplish this task I will need to research into Mythical creatures (for the black wolf/dog) as well as time setting so the characters looks and clothing will match their surroundings.
Once the research is done, I will begin the concept art and develop the Ghost Story into my own condensed motion version that again will NOT need a voice over telling the story, or monolog as it will only be a one minute animation.

 In this project I will be using a program I’m more compatible with, mainly Blender 2.69 (now 2.70) and GIMP 2.8

No comments:

Post a Comment