Friday 23 May 2014

03: What I did over summer: Referral (2/3)

Other than wasting hours on end watching animations and listening to OST of games and movies as well as watching/playing them, I sent to work on my referral. My ‘Artefact’ was intended to be an Art History motion timeline ~think opening credits of “The Big Bang Theory” but because I left it too late and with limited Skill on Final Cut Pro I ended up with a poorly put together timeline. 

Though I would have proffered not getting a referral but it’s understandable since I didn’t complete all tasks, so I took this as an opportunity to “upgrade” it by making it a semi interactive ‘Game Space” this was something that would have been harder at the time, since during PPP1 deadline we haven’t be shown how to use Unity since we had only just started the Animation Brief if I recall.

To avoid a 2nd referral I made sure I collected my timeline’s information from a number of sources. Wiki was just used as a starting point, until I ended up with a rather confusing timeline that explored a variety of art history. Some countries and areas were cut, focusing in the “Drawing” Art rather then sculpture, Architecture and inventions.With the timeline blueprint I started on the game space,

How would it look?
How would the player interact?
How even look around?
How would it be arranged?

The answer to these and a few others I asked myself were simple, I single path Maze. The “art” and time periods would have their own respected walls. If a time period crossed over (ie 1864-1885 AD Impressionism and 1885- 1910 AD Post-Impressionism) would have a side area. And so on till the player ends up in CGI, the latest idea of “Art” .In the idea of the 21st century art being digital.


The timelines hall was fun to make even though it took me some time to work out how cross sections of the roof would work; in the end I made a timeline where the player would literally walk though time.

No comments:

Post a Comment